Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The A-Z of Black Eyed Boy. P is for ... Prince.

I chose ‘Prince’ because I enjoyed writing the scenes between Emily and Mrs Bishop very much. They were often full of amusement as the knowing, mischievous old lady and her new teenage friend discuss her love life. Mrs Bishop is adamant that there is a special person waiting somewhere in the wings for Emily. She refers to him as Emily’s prince, which makes Emily cringe. Emily is a cynical young girl. She doesn’t have any beliefs, and she finds this soulmate talk ridiculous. Of course, Mrs Bishop is indeed correct, which only adds to the humour further down the line. Though, bless her, Mrs Bishop manages not to quite say I told you so.

Here is an excerpt from Black Eyed Boy, the first time that Emily’s prince is referred to:

“You’re a pretty girl, you must get a lot of attention with all that long red hair.”
“All it brings me is ginger jokes,” I sighed.
“You haven’t met him yet then,” she said, more to herself than to me.
“Met who?” I asked, rather confused by the sudden turn in the conversation.
“Your prince,” she said, beaming.
I rolled my eyes.
“I don’t believe in fairy tales,” I stated.
“That’s because you haven’t met him. You’ll believe in them once you do.”
“I’m not really the gushing type. Most of the boys at school are utter morons.”
She laughed at that, tapping her knees and rocking back in her chair with amusement.
“What about all the tourist boys?”
“What’s the point? They’re gone after a week,” I scoffed.
“We’ll see,” she said with a wink.
I shook my head at her. She’d got me all wrong. I braced myself, bid her goodbye and finally returned home.



No comments:

Post a Comment