Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The A-Z of Black Eyed Boy. C is for ... Condition.


This theme is at the heart of the book. Dylan has a condition. He refers to it when Emily asks why his eyes are so dark. He’s very guarded and reluctant to properly explain it. This makes Emily uneasy, yet quietly determined to figure it all out for herself.

This is the biggest secret of the book and I kept it to myself for a long time, until the book was published. I didn’t want any spoilers escaping. I won’t even mention it here as I don’t wish to ruin the book for you if you haven’t read it yet. My lips are sealed.

Here’s an excerpt:

“How do you all have the condition?” I asked.
“It’s really complicated,” he said, turning away from me and letting go of my hand.
At once I regretted asking; again, he clearly didn’t want to talk about it. His defences shot up like a wall between us. I was sure that I had ruined the day with my non-stop questions, as he wasn’t ready to tell me everything yet.
“I’m going for a walk,” he said, leaping up and striding away, leaving me to sit there alone. That was the first time that he hadn’t invited me to go with him. He had shunned me, and that left me feeling bleak.
“He’ll be back,” said Siobhan, sitting beside me on the sand.
“There are a lot of things he won’t tell me,” I said.
“Yes, but you should trust that he has his reasons and that he will tell you in time.”





                         

No comments:

Post a Comment