Saturday, January 14, 2017

Bowie: Soundtrack of My Life.

Ground control to Major Tom.
I didn’t think about the words.
I played with My Little Pony toys,
Jem dolls.
Action Man seduced Sindy,
Under the covers and in the bathtub.

Put on your red shoes and dance the blues.
My first pair of high heels:
Poppy-coloured with a large bow.
I liked the clickety-clack sound
They made on the pavement.
I still do; a life-long love affair.

Rebel Rebel, your face is a mess.
Sixteen. I thought I knew everything.
I knew nothing.
Stranded in seedy nightclubs.
The floor would spin.
Where was my purse?

All we need is music, sweet music.
And we made our own.
I listened to the words
As we wrote our own song
And fell in love;
Head over scarlet heels.

Nothing’s gonna touch you in these golden years.
Motherhood calling.
Confidence rising.
Sleepless nights and milky smiles.
A love and bond so strong,
My heart could burst.

Time may change me. But I can’t trace time.
Children growing, learning, blossoming.
Pride and contentment.
I think I have found myself,
Nestled within the scribbled pages
Of my own written words.




2 comments: